The Burden of Knowledge

18:37

I first read this book when I was either 14 or 15 and I loved it. I never got to study European history and this book gave me a slight insight into what I had missed as it's based in France during the 16th century. More specifically the time of the Religious Wars. Although the novel is fictional it includes many real character from history, such as Nostradamus, King Charles IX and Catherine de' Medici. The author makes an effort be keep history in place by creating events within history so the reader won't take the novel as a history book (although if this was really what happened it would be rather cool).

'The Nostradamus Prophecy'
by Theresa Breslin



Oh Yes, my copy is signed!

The story follows thirteen year old Melisande, who after the death of her sister and imprisonment of her father, must escape the castle, leaving the intriguing Melchoir behind. She then seeks the help of Nostradamus so that she may rescue her father. But instead he bestows a massive task on her. She is forewarned of the great massacre that will be a big part of her future. 
Her life continues as she journeys over the country trying to find who she is and how she will be reunited with her father. She is faced with danger, inner-conflict and important choices that will all lead her to play her part in the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre.

I absolutely love this book; it is extremely well balanced with romance, action, conflict and culture. Afterwards I couldn't help but research Nostradamus more; as well as being a prophet he was an Apothecary, using his knowledge of natural remedies to help the people of his area and support his second wife and their 6 children.

I would recommend this book to anybody really. It's not difficult to read and it's constantly exciting. I'm going to be lending to it Kerry soon, so yes, it's good!
I also think this novel would make an excellent film!

So remember, each day, live a little, laugh a little and love a little. 

You Might Also Like

0 Lovely messages

I love reading all of your comments and I promise I will reply to all of them, so remember to check back.
Love you all! ♥
xox
If you leave your link, I'll make sure to pop over. If you don't know how you can find the code here!

Featured post

Pineapple Madness {Inspiration}

Follow my blog with Bloglovin So since the weather is awful, well it's not that bad, but it's not exactly summery is it? I t...

Followers

Thank You

I would just like to thank everyone who takes the time to read my scribbles and look at my photos. I really appreciate it!

All photos are property of Beth Mac Designs unless otherwise stated or links are provided.

Subscribe